First Attempts, Second Attempts!

I got an itch to figure out something the other day, and I had the house all to myself, so I went on a bit of a crafting adventure.

Take this:


These are some scraps from a Lasagna Quilt I've been in the process of making for a while now (far too long, considering it's just a bunch of four-inch strips, but I have ADD). Messy, isn't it? But no real problem for Mr. Iron.


So I ironed my strips out and made them pretty. They're all Batiks in happy colors, so that wasn't hard.


Then came putting them together. Despite coming from a long line of quilters, it still takes me about half an hour fighting with my machine before it starts making sense to me, but ultimately I figured things out, and got this:


Have you guessed where this is going yet? No, I'm not making placemats - though that would be a cute idea, come to think of it! :-P


Flipped it over and added some felt for lining. Oh you can see it now, can't you? I didn't take a picture of my signatures, but here's what they look like sewn in:


Add a button or two to the outside, and a crocheted latch....


And tada! Isn't it lovely? It's not perfect, but it'll do for a first attempt at a hand-bound book, hm? Take a look at my binding, what do you think?

The little wooden beads are my favorite. I get the feeling this is the first of many, many hand-bound books I'll make.

And that's not all I've been up to lately. Here's my second attempt at handspun yarn, I call it Grape Juice!


12 little yards. I'm sure it's not the most impressive handspun you've ever seen, but it's mine and I'm still learning and having fun with it. I'd like to learn how to do something at least a little thinner than this, we'll see.

Comments (2)

Rebecca

January 29, 2009 at 10:46 AM

That book is great!!!! Totally awesome, I am amazed! :) And good job on the hand-spun yarn. I've only tried that a few times, also. Mine tuned out like that the first 2 times, also. Hard to get it thin!!! I'm always afraid it's going to break if it's too thin. Anyway, here's my favorite yarn I made(crocheted into an ipod case):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adorkable1/2801890278/in/set-72157603829826487/

CinderLisa

January 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Oh, that's lovely! =)

And thank you so much!